Friday, November 20, 2009

From Commodore

My father taught me immediately to become inquisitive about things and had readily available modern computing systems that could be used primarily for gaming, but also for simple programming, but mostly fiddling. The best thing you could do second to playing games was copying games and this could be done with two five-and-a-quarter inch floppy drives. Have you ever seen a "real" floppy disk? They're not the ones that are covered with mostly inflexible hard plastic, but you can bend them like a frisbee and they're as big as and adult's hand! Yeah, those. Pop in a disk. It was household knowledge that to play games all you had to do was fire it up and type
LOAD "*",8,1
into this bad boy:

It'd say
READY
and you'd shout
RUN
The game was going while the joystick(s) were out and everyone was having a great time. I played games with my sister, neighbors, mom and dad. It was phenomenal! Most of the games at my household were single player adventure or turn-based strategy games. I never really got a lot of the great arcade classics, but I did have this beach volleyball game, a car racing game, and this space arcade shooter cartridge game that George Lucas had a part in. My dad had a pretty classic setup with a Commodore64 with a generic Zenith monitor/television, a couple of floppy drives. I loved using the computer. Whenever dad wasn't on that thing, I know I was. It was phenomenal. It wasn't just about games. Sometimes I'd enter the wrong command and I'd get a listing of all these files. I had no idea what a file was but I just wanted to play the game.

Dad ended up getting a new C128 for himself with a matching monitor and we shared the two floppy drives in the household, because only seldom did one need to copy that floppy. He told my sister and I that we could share the other one, but all of those games for that computer were likely made by men for men and although my sister posed some interest, I was on that thing all day. It was my first computer. The monitor could be switched to television with the click of a button and I could watch excellent VHS programming involving mutant turtles and then click that button and fire up some disk that takes forever to load and shows these awesome demos of seemingly excellent video games. It was the life.

*Image of animated Commodore64 command prompt originally located at the Greater Pittsburg Vintage Computer Museum website at http://www.myoldcomputers.com ran by Randolph Byrnes. Verbal permission to use image was granted by his daughter.

1 comment:

  1. i used to play this game on there called dream house...it took forever to load everything...you could paint the walls of the house and buy furniture and people and pets

    ReplyDelete